Connecting Your Nuro Switch to Alexa
- Using Your Nuro Switch with Alexa
- Step 1: Connecting the Switch to Your Amazon Account
- Step 2: Installing the Alexa Skill
- Controlling the Lights on Your Mobile Phone
- Controlling the Lights with Voice Commands
- Managing Devices in Alexa
Using Your Nuro Switch with Alexa
You can control your Nuro smart dimmer switch with your Alexa device, including the Echo, Echo Dot, or the Alexa app on your phone. Using voice commands, Alexa allows you to operate several basic features of your Nuro switch, for example:
- Turn the switch on or off.
- Adjust the brightness of the light.
To enable Alexa voice control of your Nuro switch, follow the steps below. Please note that these steps refer to two different types of accounts:
This is the account you use to login to Amazon and to setup your Alexa devices.
This is the account you created when you signed up in the Nuro mobile app.
While you may choose to use the same email address for both of these accounts, it is recommended to maintain separate passwords for each account.
Step 1: Connecting the Switch to Your Amazon Account
To link your Nuro smart dimmer switch to your Alexa devices, you will need to provide the email address that you use to configure your Alexa devices — i.e. your Amazon account.
- If you have already created a Nuro account in the Nuro mobile app:
- Navigate to the Account section.
- Provide your Amazon account email address in the text box.
- Click Save.
- In the sign-up screen, provide your Amazon account email address.
- This email address may be different from the address you use for your Nuro account (entered at the top of the sign-up page).
Note: Entering an Amazon email address is optional in the signup screen. You can still provide it later in the Account section.
Step 2: Installing the Alexa Skill
To use Nuro switches with your Alexa devices, you will need to install a skill for the Nuro smart dimmer switch and connect your Amazon account to your Nuro account.
- Open the Alexa app on your mobile phone.
- Search for the Nuro Dimmer Switch skill.
- Click Enable.
- When the app asks you to link accounts, login with your Amazon account.
- Once the skill is enabled, click on Discover Devices.
IMPORTANT: Do NOT provide your Nuro email/password anywhere in the Alexa app.
Alexa is now able to connect to and control your Nuro switches.
Controlling the Lights on Your Mobile Phone
You should be able to see your Nuro devices in the Smart Home section of the Alexa app on your phone. If you don’t see your devices, you can say “Discover Devices,” which should show a list of your devices.
- Tap on the switch name to see its control section.
- You can tap on the icon to turn the light on or off.
- You can use the slider to control the brightness of the light.
- You can edit the switch and set the type to “Light.”
Tip: You can provide names for each of your switches in the Settings section of the Nuro app.
Controlling the Lights with Voice Commands
You can control your Nuro switch using Alexa voice commands spoken to your Alexa devices. Here is the list of commands that the Nuro skill will recognize, using the sample switch name of “Kitchen Lamp”:
- Alexa, turn on Kitchen Lamp.
- Alexa, turn off Kitchen Lamp.
- Alexa, brighten Kitchen Lamp by 10%.
- Alexa, dim Kitchen Lamp by 5%.
- Alexa, set Kitchen Lamp brightness to 75%.
Managing Devices in Alexa
Note that editing the name of the switch or deleting the switch in the Alexa app will have no effect on your switches or on the ability to see them in the Nuro app. If you accidentally delete a switch in Alexa, you can simply say “Discover Devices” again to re-discover the switch.